The pandemic outbreak of coronavirus has put the whole world into serious trouble. As no vaccine is available yet, the only way to save yourself from the virus is to keep yourself clean and germ-free. Besides that, practicing social distancing is significant as well to avoid further transmission of the virus. After the pandemic outbreak, hand sanitizers have become inseparable elements of our everyday life. Wherever we go, we are bound to carry bottles of hand sanitizers with us. According to the CDC guidelines, everyone should apply hand sanitizer in their hands after touching any surface or material. Scientists have also recommended the usage of hand sanitizers in terms of preventing contamination.
Washing hands was always given priority by everyone for maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Anyway, a lot of people from different parts of the world are doubtful about different aspects of hand sanitizers. In this article, we are going to reveal all the factors that will solve all your queries regarding hand sanitizers.
Why should you use hand sanitizers?
- While going to buy hand sanitizer, you will get two different types of hand sanitizers- Alcohol-based hand sanitizers and alcohol-free hand sanitizers. The alcohol-based hand sanitizers generally contain 60-95% alcohol in ethanol, propanol, or isopropanol forms. On the other side, alcohol-free hand sanitizers don’t include alcohol components. Instead, alcohol-free hand sanitizers contain antiseptic agents. Anyway, you are likely to use alcohol-based hand sanitizers as per the CDC instructions. The alcohol components of alcohol-based hand sanitizers combat germs, microorganisms, and kill those. That’s why when you apply such sanitizer in your hands, the germs in your hand get eliminated. Previously, hand sanitizers used to be used before having a meal. The latest researches have shown that the alcohol content of alcohol-based hand sanitizers is highly effective in killing coronavirus. That’s why scientists are requesting everyone to sanitize their hands after touching any surface or external material to stop the spread of the dangerous virus.
- Apart from coronavirus, hand sanitizers eliminate all types of germs and microorganisms present in your hands. As you apply hand sanitizer on your hands, that kills all kinds of viruses, bacteria, or other microorganisms. This way, you can avoid gastrointestinal or respiratory infection by applying hand sanitizer in your hands.
Are hand sanitizers safe to use?
Are you in doubt if using hand sanitizer in your hands will be safe for you or not? To avoid any kind of harmful effect, you have to check what the hand sanitizer contains. Different brands prepare hand sanitizers using different techniques. Not all hand sanitizers are good and safe for usage. The CDC has strictly mentioned in its guidelines that alcohol-free hand sanitizers aren’t effective in combating coronavirus. Rather, such hand sanitizers might have bad impacts on your overall health. As you apply non-alcohol sanitizer in your hands before having a meal, the sanitizer might get mixed with your food. That might cause health hazards, and that’s why you need to avoid using alcohol-free hand sanitizer.
Also, many hand sanitizers include an antibacterial element named Triclosan. This antibacterial material is not suitable for everyone. High consumption of Triclosan can result in a decrease in the level of thyroid hormone in the human body. Apart from that, some hand sanitizers include other chemical compounds and preservatives. Not all the chemical components are safe for the human body. Therefore, you should check the components of a hand sanitizer before applying that to your hands.
When to use hand sanitizer on your hands?
- You are likely to apply hand sanitizer on your hands after touching a surface or material. Wherever you are, apply hand sanitizer on hand immediately after you touch anything that is touched by someone previously. Especially when you’re availing public transport, or you’re at the gym, use hand sanitizer on your hands after touching every single thing.
- You should apply hand sanitizer on your hands before you touch your face. Try to remember this point for protecting yourself from the deadly virus. Specifically, you should sanitize your hands before you touch your nose or mouth when you’re in a public place.
- Don’t apply sanitizer on your hands when those are visibly dirty. As an example, you can’t apply hand sanitizer on your hands to eliminate germs right after coming back to the playground. In such a case, the hand sanitizer won’t be able to clean your hands properly.
What are the harmful effects of hand sanitizers on sensitive skin?
If you have sensitive skin, all types of sanitizers won’t suit your skin. If you use a sanitizer that is not suitable for your skin, you are likely to have many problems. Here we are mentioning some of the harmful effects of hand sanitizers on sensitive skins.
- A large part of people with sensitive skin has reported having Eczema after using hand sanitizers. Those people also reported that they had to go through long-term skin treatments to cure their conditions.
- You might have skin irritation or rashes after applying hand sanitizer on hands if you have sensitive skin.
- Skin discoloration is another leading problem that can affect you as a result of using hand sanitizers. Your skin tone might change in such a condition if you have sensitive skin. The softness of your skin might disappear after using hand sanitizers on hands for a long time.
- Some people with sensitive skin also reported that they had allergies after applying hand sanitizers on their hands.
- The worst effect of hand sanitizer on sensitive skin is that it can lead to skin disorder. This is a serious skin condition where you might suffer from frequent allergies, infections, and rashes. This is not a condition that can be cured pretty easily. You might have to undergo a long skin treatment procedure to get cured.
How to choose a suitable hand sanitizer if you have sensitive skin?
There are different types of hand sanitizers in the market for different skin types. You must not choose local brands when buying a bottle of sanitizer for a person with sensitive skin. Local brands don’t use essential components in appropriate proportions. Instead, you must select a reputed brand to ensure additional safety.
- If you’re buying hand sanitizer for sensitive skin, you must purchase a bottle of sanitizer that includes glycerin. If you have sensitive skin, the presence of glycerin in the hand sanitizer will help your skin smooth and soft.
- You must select a hand sanitizer that doesn’t dry your skin. When having sensitive skin, you can’t afford to dry your skin.
- Get a hand sanitizer that gets evaporated within ten seconds after applying on the hands. Such non-sticky sanitizers are the best choices for people with sensitive skin. Normal sanitizers last a bit longer in hands, and that’s not good for people with sensitive skin types.
- It will help if you buy a hand sanitizer that is mild on your skin. Some sanitizers cause skin inflammations and skin allergies. Those are not suitable for sensitive skin types.
- Checking the ingredients of the sanitizer before buying is mandatory if you have sensitive skin. Additional chemical components can be very dangerous for sensitive skin types. Therefore, check the ingredients of the sanitizer before buying.
These are the main points that you must remember while buying hand sanitizer for yourself. These points will help you to take care of your sensitive skin.
How to avoid infections that are caused due to hand sanitizers?
It’s very hard for people with sensitive skin types to avoid skin infections after using hand sanitizers. They are very much prone to have different types of skin allergies, infections as results of using sanitizers. Let’s see what the remedies of such issues are-
- If you have a sensitive skin type, you must buy a sanitizer with a higher pH level. Normal sanitizers usually don’t have higher pH levels, and that’s why those are not favorable for sensitive skin. You will get sanitizers with higher pH levels in both online and offline markets. Get such a sanitizer to avoid skin-related issues.
- Some famous brands have already launched sanitizers with moisturizing features. While you apply regular sanitizers to your hands, your hands get dry. On the other side, a sanitizer with a moisturizing feature won’t let your hands dry and keep the moisture level intact. That’s why such sanitizers are highly recommendable for people with sensitive skin types.
- You should try to wash your hands with soap and water before you apply hand sanitizer on your hand. This might prevent skin infections up to some extent.
- You must buy skin moisturizers separately to maintain good skin. Apply hand moisturizer on your hands right after using hand sanitizer. This will prevent your hands from getting dry.
You should remember these points to protect your skin from the adverse effects of hand sanitizers. This way, you can eliminate all the germs and bacteria from your hands without causing harm to your skin. Also, remember the sanitizer-buying guideline to get the best hand sanitizer for yourself.